Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pucker Up!

So for quite some time, Maddie has been begging to do a lemonade stand.  I was always willing to let her do this but just wasn't looking forward to it because I knew that most of the work (preparing the lemonade!), would fall on my shoulders.  However, early in June our neighborhood was having a garage sale so I thought that combining a lemonade stand with the garage sale would be a great idea since she would have plenty of customers.

We prepared lots of lemonade the day before and I put it into a container that would make it easy for her to dispense herself.  She made a super-cute sign and she was ready to go!  We actually had everything ready for our garage sale before I expected to, so we decided to bake cookies as well and sell those too.

She was open for business by 9:00 AM.  Micah decided he wanted to get in on the action too and since he is a pretty friendly guy, she decided he would be good for business and so he helped her sell part of the time.  I was shocked at how many people bought from them.  They made $25 total, which I thought was great.  To teach them a little about business, I made them reimburse me $5.00 for the supplies (even though the actual cost was probably greater than that).  So after they closed up, they had $20 to split between them so each walked away with $10.  Not a bad profit for a minimal effort!  I was really proud of them though because a couple of weeks after the garage sale they both decided to give their proceeds as offering at VBS.  Well, Micah actually made a few purchases at a softball game concession stand before giving his, but he gave what he had left.

I didn't get a picture of Micah working the stand because the garage sale was keeping us busy but here is one of Maddie and her cute sign!




No comments:

Post a Comment